Like St Jan's Church, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Church was built to cater to the city's growing population. Permission to build the churches was granted in 1290 by the bishop of Terwaan, James of Boulogne. The church was completed in 1301, but it took until 1490 for it to take on its final appearance. The ground plan of Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Church is the same as St Bertinus Church, the main church in the centre of Poperinge, and is a Gothic hall church in seawall style with a slender pointed tower 70 metres high. Like St Bertinus' church, Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe Church has three naves, all of the same height, with a gabled roof.