Where the barn of the farm is now, a machine gun post was erected by American engineers in 1918. The inscription "USA 1918 Engineers" can still be read on the wall. The construction was part of the 'West Poperinghe Line', which was expanded between Werf and West-Vleteren after the Third Battle of Ypres ran aground in the mud. A British map of 4 July 1918 shows barracks near the farm. The bunker would never have been used during the First World War.

to top